Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Candy Fairy

Do you have a plan for your children's Halloween candy? My Works For Me Wednesday tip is the Candy Fairy.

After working so hard for their big haul, I let my kiddies have fun with their candy when they come in from the cold. (It's Wisconsin people. Where we purposefully plan costumes that will fit over snowsuits, just in case.) After they've had their (reasonable) fill, they pick out 10 favorites to keep. These are doled out over the next week. The rest goes back into their loot bags which get looped onto their doorknobs at bedtime.

When they wake up, the Candy Fairy has come, and much like the Tooth Fairy exchanges teeth for money, the candy has been exchanged for a toy. Does it need to be said that Childhood Obesity is an epidemic in our country? Do we really want need candy sitting around tempting everyone all the way to Christmas? NoThankYouVeryMuch. My children like to Trick or Treat. They like the candy. They love the toy.

But it does beg the question, what does the Candy Fairy do with her haul? Well. She has her own fun picking and choosing and donates the rest to the food pantry. Think about it. Food pantries all over the country are gearing up for Thanksgiving Dinner donations. What a blessing to treat other children, to more than just the basics.

The Chubbiest of Fairies,
Carolynn

7 comments:

Sara@iSass said...

I was looking at costumes the other day thinking...Gall darn it, Butter wants to BE Belle, there are NO Belle costumes and all the other ones are short sleeve, tiny skirt don't these people know it's COLD here, what ever princess she chooses she'll look ridiculous! I have to buy it big to fit the snowsuit under it and it can't be TOO big that she can't wear it to school for their parade. Does that candy fairy make costumes be chance? You know ones we can WORK with in our climate?

Stephanie said...

We're doing the same concept this year, only the Great Pumpkin. :)

And I thought I commented on your last post but I obviously didn't. I just wanted to say Wow, has it really been a year? Look what a survivor you are.

Dawn said...

That is an awesome idea - wish I'd have known about it when my kiddos were trick-or-treaters!

Hope the Candy Fairy gets some good stuff this year.

Blessings!

Debbie said...

I saw your sweet comment and jumped right over. Aaargh. Life is so busy and I'm not getting around to visit nearly as much as I'd like.
And the candy? I let them gorge. Yes, I am just that naughty:)

Growin' With It said...

what a fabulous idea. umm, 'cept for the *donating the rest of the candy idea*...i don't know if i'd have the will power to do that. ESPECIALLY if a reese's was involved. you are such a great and creative mommy!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Great idea,only how do I begin it at this stage with the two older boys?

We STILL have candy stashed from the last holiday time (I hide really well, apparently).

forever folding laundry said...

I love this - we do pretty much the same thing. But the candy fairy does not accept chocolate so, unfortunately, I have to take it all out before I give it to her. It's a tough job, you know. ;)

~Keri