Sunday, December 14, 2008

Be Kinder Than Necessary

My sister's favorite quote has always been, "Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last Friday night the police were called; X broke into my house and made serious threats. I had to wait out the weekend before I could file for an Order For Protection. We stayed with friends but by Sunday he found us. Monday came and he beat me to the courthouse; filing his own OFP, alleging me as the abuser and gained legal emergency custody of our children. Dear God.

I rushed my children into a Safe House just in time. My lawyer met with the judge who ordered the children were to stay with me in lock down at the shelter. X has 5 guns, 2 tazers, a night stick and is, how do you say... unbalanced.

My Dad and my Sister came up to testify in court on Thursday. Life in a shelter is a whole 'nother story, but suffice it to say going to a restaurant with my family was it. Watching my children eat pancakes and laugh for the first time in days... there's no words.

As we were leaving the waitress smiled and said, "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

Six nights before, the police officer, after taking my report and speaking with my children said, "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

One day later I left court a free woman. After I hugged my lawyer she said... "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

I can't explain how those same words, spoken at different times, by different people in the same week, impacted me. One thing's for sure, each of the players were kinder than necessary.

I'm making a conscious decision to pay it forward and will try hard to remember every stranger I meet is fighting some kind of battle. It may just show them Jesus, the way I was shown this week.

For His merciful kindness is great toward us, and the truth of the Lord endureth forever. (Psalm 117:2)

Blessings,
Carolynn

14 comments:

Sara@iSass said...

The police officer said that? I'm going to just say it...that was really tacky.
I am so glad that you and the kiddos are safe.

K and/or K said...

That is such a great reminder for me. Struggles aren't always worn on people's sleeves. I'm glad this kindness has come your way.

Kat said...

Oh darlin'! We all have our own path to walk. Sometimes that path is clear and sometimes we have to plow ahead through the brush to get to our destination.

Love you!

Patrice and Higgins said...

Hang in there, I know it must be rough and your right, pay it forward, everyone seems to have something going on in their lifes!

Glad you adn the kiddies are safe!

Kieliszek said...

My prayers today I ask to be kept safe from the evil of this dark world and of the spiritual world. May those who seek to do me harm be blessed by you and may they in their blessing forget about me.
Let my eye look to you for everything Lord. Keep me safe and may I shelter in your protection. Allow me to pass safely through the troubles of this world and keep me from harm. To you Lord God be the glory and majesty my father and my God.Let you love shine in my prayer and in my public life, wrap my heart in your love, hold me Lord and never let me go.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Hello...I found your blog through Sara@ Butterville. I wanted to let you know you're in my prayers and I hope we can become blogging friends! Big blessings to you from one Wisconsin gal to another. ;-)
In Him,
Rachel

Erin K. said...

Wow. Praise the Lord for keeping all of you safe, and for getting you out just in time! ((((((hugs)))))

Dawn said...

Wow.

Wow.

What an unbelievable week you've had. I'm praising God with you for your protection and provisions.

Continuing to pray for you!

Blessings, friend!

Debbie said...

I cannot believe he almost got the kids. Good for you to beat him to the punch. I am worried about you still. And I am sure the shelter is not fun, but at least you all are safe. Still praying for you.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh sweetie, I am so glad you got out of there, (and SO thankful you let me know where to find you!) My kids and I prayed about you and they wanted to send you "all of our money" which came to several British pounds in change. There are people praying for you all over.
I still find you an amazingly inspirational.
God Bless you and the kids!

Susan said...

I am so glad that you were able to get away with the kids and are safe now. My mother was married to an abusive man when I was young. We ended up having to move in the middle of the night to escape. Those were stressful and scary years. I hope that you and the kids will be able to live in peace and joy in Wisconsin.
Thanks for letting me know where to find you!
I will continue to be praying for you and the kids as you journey through your new life together.

Blessed said...

Those are true words of wisdom! Always be kinder than is necessary... I'm glad you and your children are safe.

Miss Lisa said...

Oh my goodness--you are brave and fantastic mom through all of this. You make my heart smile reading how much you loved to see your kids laugh.

I can't believe the police officer said that....

Mainly a midwife said...

Glad you are ok. I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you are safe.